Hardware/Software Codesign AS 2016
|Lecture Id:||227-0778-00L (english); 227-0778-00L (german)|
|Lecturer:||Prof. Lothar Thiele, ETZ G87, phone: +41 44 632 70 31, email@example.com|
|Language:||All materials (lecture notes, slides, and papers) are in English. Lecture will be held in English.|
|Lectures:||Wednesdays, 10:15-12:00, ETZ-E8|
|Exercises:||Wednesdays, 15:15-17:00, ETZ-E8 or ETZ-D96 if specified|
Objective of the course
The course provides advanced knowledge in the design of complex computer systems, in particular embedded systems. Models and methods are discussed that are fundamental for systems that consist of software and hardware components.
The course covers the following subjects:
- Models for describing hardware and software components (specification)
- System design (hardware-software partitioning and design space exploration)
- Performance analysis and estimation techniques
- Current and hot topics: thermal-aware design and control
Prerequisites for the course is a basic knowledge in the following areas: computer architecture, digital design, software design, and embedded systems.
Following exam review sessions will be held:
- Friday 24.02.2017 @ 1500. Location: ETZ G71.2
- Wednesday 01.03.2017 @ 1000. Location: ETZ G71.2
Copies of lecture slides will be sold during first lecture for 10 CHF.
- Peter Marwedel: Embedded System Design. Springer, ISBN 978-94-007-0256-1, 2011.
- Marilyn Wolf: Computers as Components. Morgan Kaufmann, ISBN 9780128053874, 2016.
- Giovanni De Micheli, Rolf Ernst, and Wayne Wolf: Readings in Hardware/Software Co-Design. Morgan Kaufman, 2001.
In total there will be 11 exercises, that are distributed in the lecture.
The assistants will briefly introduce the current exercise, which shall be solved by the students during the exercise time. Assistants will help students with their solutions.
- Admission: It is recommended to at least solve 9 out of 11 exercises. The practical, simulation-based exercises should be attended.
- Written exam, duration: 120 minutes
- Supporting Materials: Printouts, handwritten note, and calculators are allowed. Devices that can be used for communication (laptops, phones, tablets, mp3 players, etc.) are NOT allowed.
- Stefan Draskovic, ETZ G81, phone:+41 44 632 70 33, firstname.lastname@example.org [SD]
- Andres Gomez, ETZ J78.1, phone: +41 44 632 66 36, email@example.com
- Pengcheng Huang ETZ G77, phone:+41 44 632 70 39, firstname.lastname@example.org